Hailing from a small town outside Greensboro, NC, Matt returned to Adventure Treks for summer 2020 after living in Montana, where he was a ski instructor for Big Sky Resort. He was the climbing wall supervisor and lead guide for Basecamp Cullowhee at Western Carolina University for whitewater kayaking, canoeing, whitewater rafting, backpacking, and rock climbing trips. He also served as the head raft guide for Black Mountain Expeditions in North Carolina and for JH Ranch in California. Matt is returning to Adventure Treks for his fourth season as an instructor.
- Education: Western Carolina University, bachelor’s degree in parks and recreation management; Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, bachelor’s degree in outdoor leadership
- Certifications: Wilderness emergency medical technician, AMGA climbing wall instructor, PSIA alpine level 1, lifeguard
- Favorite outdoor memory: During a river trip in Idaho, we pulled off on the banks of the Salmon River, hiked up a trail that was covered in blackberries to a hot spring, and spent much of our day hanging out in one of nature’s hot tubs.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: Just outside Park City, UT, a friend and I paddled a class 4+ section of the Weber River called “Scrambled Eggs.” It was one of the scariest days of my life, but also one of the best days of kayaking I’ve ever had.
- Countries visited: Belgium, England, France, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain
- What do you do when not working for Adventure Treks? I love whitewater kayaking, skiing, playing guitar, and reading!