Instructor, Alaska Expedition 2b
A Bostonian by birth, Abby currently works as the program director for Mountain Trails Outdoor School at Camp Kanuga in Hendersonville, NC. Previously, she spent the winter season at Big Sky Resort’s Moonlight Basin, coordinating outdoor activities for kids. Prior to that, Abby worked in Asheville, NC, as a hiking guide and naturalist. Abby has worked with kids and teens and in the outdoors for years: She’s been a 1st grade teacher at a charter school; a trip leader for Camp Pinnacle; an outdoor educator at Mountain Trail Outdoor School in Hendersonville; and a discovery assistant at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville. She’s also worked as a wilderness field instructor for SUWS of the Carolinas; naturalist at Camp Grady Spruce in Texas; adventure counselor at Camp Sealth in Washington; and instructor at Camp Highland Outdoor Science School in California.
- Education: Quinnipiac University, bachelor’s degree in psychology; Western Carolina University, master’s degree in experiential and outdoor education
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, swift water rescue
- Favorite outdoor memory: Stargazing in the vast Death Valley with no one around!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Summiting 13,062-foot Centennial Peak in Colorado with a a group of 7-year-old campers.
- Favorite hobbies: Traveling, skateboarding, and drinking coffee
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Prague
- Previous Adventure Treks trips include Blue Ridge Expedition, Ultimate Blue Ridge, Colorado Explorer, British Columbia Challenge