Trip leader, British Columbia Challenge
A Bostonian by birth, Abby spent the winter season at Big Sky Resort’s Moonlight Basin, coordinating outdoor activities for kids. She also just finished her master’s degree at WCU, with a thesis on women in positions of leadership in the outdoors. Prior to that, Abby worked in Asheville, NC, as a hiking guide and naturalist. Abby has worked with kids and teens and in the outdoors for years: She’s been a 1st grade teacher at a charter school; a trip leader for Camp Pinnacle; an outdoor educator at Mountain Trail Outdoor School in Hendersonville; and a discovery assistant at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville. She’s also worked as a wilderness field instructor for SUWS of the Carolinas; naturalist at Camp Grady Spruce in Texas; adventure counselor at Camp Sealth in Washington; and instructor at Camp Highland Outdoor Science School in California. Abby returns to Adventure Treks for her fourth season as a trip leader.
- Education: Quinnipiac University, bachelor’s degree in psychology; Western Carolina University, master’s degree in experiential and outdoor education
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, swiftwater rescue
- Favorite outdoor memory: Stargazing in the vast Death Valley with no one around!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Summiting 13,062-foot Centennial Peak in Colorado with a a group of 7-year-old campers.
- Favorite hobbies: Traveling, skateboarding, and drinking coffee
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Prague