Trip leader, Alaska Expedition 1b
Abby who calls Hendersonville, NC, home, returns to Adventure Treks for her fifth season as a trip leader. Abby led trips for outdoor programs and taught yoga classes while at the University of North Carolina, Asheville, and is a former Camp Pinnacle counselor. She discovered her love of the outdoors while on one of Adventure Treks’ fall school group programs as a middle schooler. Abby has also worked as a preschool teacher at the Verner Center for Early Learning in Asheville.
- Education: University of North Carolina, Asheville; bachelor’s degree in health and wellness promotion; pursuing a master’s degree in communication science and disorders from Western Carolina University
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Watching the sunrise on Mt. Shasta as an instructor with my students in 2017. What a privilege!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Every time a student discovers that they enjoy and feel powerful backpacking and being outside even if it sometimes feels miserable and hard.
- Favorite hobbies: I’m passionate about creating kind and intentional communities where all folks feel safe, welcome, and celebrated. My favorite hobbies are looking at flowers, walking my friends dog, and taking free online yoga classes.