Originally from New York, Agnes spent her winter in the western Maine mountains working for Maine Huts and Trails. Agnes has also worked an outdoor education instructor for Chewonki in Maine and the Pali Institute: Outdoor Education Center in the San Bernadino Mountains. Before that, she was a river guide for Beaver Brook Outfitters, taking people on day and overnight rafting, kayaking, and canoeing trips in her home state. She was also a river guide for another NY-based outfitter. While in school, she was an intern for the Sassafras Environmental Education Center, teaching programs to K–12 students. She’s also served as a volunteer steward for the Adirondack Mountain Club, intern at the Echo Hill Outdoor School, and rowing coach at the YMCA of Kingston, NY.
- Education: Washington College, bachelor’s degree in environmental studies and secondary education
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, NYS (New York State) Department of Environmental Conservation whitewater guide
- Favorite outdoor memory: Lots of all-day cross-country ski expeditions and summit attempts in Maine this winter.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Thru-hiked the Ozark Trail! My first solo backpack in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in southern California was a big one also.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Shasta-Trinity Alps in northern California!
- Favorite hobbies: Any type two fun outside (backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, whitewater rafting/canoeing, road running and trail running). I also love a very slow walk in the woods looking at plants. Love trying out new art forms and altering old clothes to be more fun and funky fresh. Enjoy playing mediocre guitar and singing along, also taking an exceptionally long time to drink my coffee/tea.
- Best advice you’ve received: When I was in elementary school, my dad put a copy of this children’s poem called “The Man Who Thinks He Can” in my lunchbox. It was a lesson on positive self-talk that has stuck with me ever since.
- What are you most excited for this summer? I’m so excited to have an excuse to be disconnected from technology for weeks at a time!
- Previous Adventure Treks trips include California Adventure, California Challenge, Ultimate Northwest, Pacific Northwest Adventure