Instructor: California Adventure 1 & California Challenge 3
Agnes joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. Originally from New York, Agnes now calls Maryland home. Most recently, Agnes was a river guide for Beaver Brook Outfitters, taking people on day and overnight rafting, kayaking, and canoeing trips in her home state. She was a river guide for another NY-based outfitter before that. While in school, she was an intern for the Sassafras Environmental Education Center, teaching programs to K–12 students. She’s also served as a volunteer steward for the Adirondack Mountain Club, intern at the Echo Hill Outdoor School, and rowing coach at the YMCA of Kingston, NY.
- Education: Washington College, bachelor’s degree in environmental studies and secondary education
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder, NYS (New York State) Department of Environmental Conservation whitewater guide
- Favorite outdoor memory: Stargazing with my cousin from the banks of the Green River in Colorado and counting the most shooting stars that I ever have seen. Least favorite memory: finding at least 16 leeches on myself during my 16th birthday on an overnight canoe trip on Little Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: I successfully guided a raft of middle schoolers through the class IV whitewater section of the Hudson Gorge Wilderness during a torrential downpour.
- Countries visited:
- Favorite hobbies: I’m a huge water person; I love kayaking, canoeing, rafting, cliff-jumping, and swimming. I can also be found biking, running, skiing, playing guitar and piano, or making art.