Instructor, California Challenge 2
Hailing from Down Under, Airlie is returning for her second season as an instructor. After graduating, Airlie moved to California, spending her summers as a director and trip leader for a teen adventure camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Currently, she is pursuing a master’s degree at the University of Edinburgh in outdoor education. She has traveled through 29 countries and can be found at the beaches of Sydney or Santa Cruz on her time off. Airlie is a Wilderness First Responder and an American Red Cross lifeguard.
- Education: Charles Sturt University; bachelor’s degree in business and communication studies.
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I feel privileged to be able to inspire teenagers to learn about themselves and the world around them, in and through the outdoors. In turn, they inspire and teach me… and we have a lot of fun while doing it!
- Why is working for Adventure Treks important to you? The genuine community we are all a part of, the beautiful landscapes we interact with, and the challenges that we conquer together as a team!
- What do you do when not working for AT? I am currently pursuing a master’s degree in outdoor education, taking weekend trips around Europe, and exploring the outdoor environment in Scotland!
- Favorite outdoor memory? Sleeping out under the stars with a group of students on the California coastline after a beautiful day of hiking. We fell asleep looking over a colony of seals on the beach and woke the next morning with the sun… glorious!
- Favorite quote: “Seek good people throughout your life. Good people will make you better.” – Coach K