Originally from Orlando, FL, Alec joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. During his time at USF, Alec worked as an adventure trip leader through the school’s outdoor recreation program, guiding multi-day backpacking, bioluminescent kayaking, and service expeditions for undergraduate students. He also worked as the challenge course program assistant, working with middle and high school students on team-building activities. At the Northern Tier National High Adventure Base, Alec guided six- to nine-day backcountry canoe trips for Scouts in Minnesota.
- Education: University of South Florida, bachelor’s degree in environmental science and policy
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: My biggest highlight would have to be doing yoga as the sun was setting over one of my favorite lakes in the Boundary Waters. Or, I was hiking along a trail near Grindelwald, Switzerland. The mountains were covered in clouds, and I was completely alone with nothing but my own thoughts and I heard a ringing of bells off in the distance. As I came around a corner, I encountered a flock of sheep on the top of a mountain! We had a stare-off and I thought they were going to run me of the mountain, but they just wanted to say hi.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Switzerland
- Favorite hobbies: My passions include spending time outdoors, meditating, yoga, and playing the Native American flute.
- Best advice you’ve received:
- What do you hope to learn this summer? I am excited to expand my horizons and develop new skills.
- What are you most excited for this summer? I am excited to meet so many new people throughout the summer and hear all the amazing stories they have to tell.