Instructor, Yellowstone Teton Adventure 1, 2, & 3
Originally from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Alex now resides in Woodstock, VT, where he graduated from Northern Vermont University. He currently helps manage social media for VTSU’s outdoor education department. Previously, he worked for Mount Prospect Academy as a paraeducator, taking students on outdoor trips like hiking and mountain biking. He’s also worked as a camp counselor at Camp Abenaki in Vermont.
- Education: Northern Vermont University, bachelor’s degree in outdoor education, leadership, and tourism; business associate’s degree
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, Sun Valley Guides avalanche level 1, American Alpine Institute AIARE avalanche level 2, High 5 ropes course level 1, Mount Prospect Academy therapeutic crisis intervention
- Favorite outdoor memory: My favorite outdoor memory would be from when I was taking my AIARE 2 certification course in Sun Valley, ID. My instructor, two of my classmates, and I woke up before sunrise for a short skin from the hut to snowmobile location to drop off food we needed taken out. On this short morning skin, we experienced one of the most amazing sunrises I have ever seen, and under the ambient light shredded some amazing fresh powder lines down to the drop off. We then skinned back to the top, where we took one more beautiful ski line back to the hut, where we met the rest of our crew. This was a magical experience which will stay with me until the end of time.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Four classmates and I planned, prepared, and executed a three-day hike through the Presidential Traverse this past fall. It was an amazing experience during which we crushed miles, saw beautiful views, and shared unforgettable laughs to cap off the end of our class. The
sunrises and sunsets that painted the sky were breathtaking and are ones that will be imprinted in my mind forever.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: My favorite place that I have traveled to would be Val d’Aron, Spain. I participated in a foreign exchange program in which I hosted a student for two weeks in the fall, whom I then visited the following spring. It was a life-changing experience I will never forget.
- Favorite hobbies: I love mostly everything outdoors. I am a very active person who loves spending their time outside doing things like skateboarding, backcountry skiing, snowboarding, swimming, cliff jumping, hiking, surfing, running, and sometimes playing lacrosse. I also love art as well. I really enjoy making my own art, while I also find a passion in examining others’ works. I like to paint, draw, write and doodle on miscellaneous pieces of paper I come to find. I am also really into making videos. I love video editing and photography, and would love to pursue that interest more as time goes on.
- What are you most excited for this summer? I am most excited to help provide an experience in which participants can make intrapersonal and
interpersonal connections to themselves, others, and the world around them. I look forward to creating a safe space where all are welcome, and working as a team to conquer tasks, peaks, and creating unforgettable memories. I am stoked to meet the kids, my co workers, and employers with whom I am looking to have an amazing, fun, and risk mitigated summer with. I also am excited for the sunsets, sunrises, and environment we will be living in over our time on Adventure Treks trips. I also look forward to improve upon my leadership, facilitation, and teaching skills through my experience this summer at Adventure Treks.