Trip leader: Alaska Expedition 1a
Originally from southeastern Ohio, Alex is returning for her eighth season as a trip leader. She’s been in the outdoor adventure game for almost a decade: During her undergrad years, Alex was a teaching assistant for her school’s department of recreation and outdoor education; she also worked as a trip leader and rock climbing wall staff member. Between seasons at Adventure Treks, she was a graduate assistant on OU, leading outdoor trips and teaching skills clinics. For two summers, she was also the assistant director for Avid 4 Adventure.
- Education: Ohio University; bachelor’s degree in journalism and outdoor education, master’s degree in recreation studies; currently pursuing a PhD in higher education and student affairs at Ohio University
- Medical certification: Wilderness emergency medical technician
- Favorite outdoor memory? After a long day of backpacking with Adventure Treks students to our campsite in the Trinity Alps in California, my backcountry group and I arrived at our site for the night. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and we spent some well-earned time that afternoon relaxing by an alpine lake. That evening after dinner, we watched one of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve seen on a trip. It was a special experience, and I think about that trip often.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Rafting a section of the Grand Canyon with my mom!
- Favorite hobbies: Rafting, sea kayaking, surfing, backpacking, and trail running are some of my favorite activities.