Originally from southeastern Ohio, Alex has been in the outdoor adventure game for almost a decade: During her undergrad years, Alex was a teaching assistant for her school’s department of recreation and outdoor education; she also worked as a trip leader and rock climbing wall staff member. Between seasons at Adventure Treks, she was a graduate assistant on OU, leading outdoor trips and teaching skills clinics. For two summers, she was also the assistant director for Avid 4 Adventure.
- Education: Ohio University; bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism and outdoor education, master’s degree in recreation studies; currently pursuing a PhD in higher education
- Medical certification: Wilderness emergency medical technician
- Favorite outdoor memory? After a long day of backpacking with Adventure Treks students to our campsite in the Trinity Alps in California, my backcountry group and I arrived at our site for the night. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and we spent some well-earned time that afternoon relaxing by an alpine lake. That evening after dinner, we watched one of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve seen on a trip. It was a special experience, and I think about that trip often.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Rafting a section of the Grand Canyon with my mom!
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: India
- Favorite hobbies: Trail running, backpacking, climbing, rafting, and surfing
- Best advice you’ve received: When you’re not sure about something or don’t know what to do in a situation, put it down for a while. Hasty decisions can lead to regret and until you know it can rest. In time you will know what to do.
- What do you hope to learn this summer? To find joy in the quiet and big moments of the summer, from grocery shopping to summit days and everything in between!
- What are you most excited for this summer? Having a chance to be in beautiful places with great people and be back in a community that I love.
- Previous Adventure Treks trips include Alaska Expedition, California Challenge, California Adventure, British Columbia Adventure