Trip Leader, California Adventure & California Challenge 3
Originally from southeastern Ohio, Alex is returning for her fourth season as a trip leader. She has worked as an outdoor instructor, trip leader, and expedition director for camps, universities, and guiding companies in Colorado, Hawaii, Massachusetts, British Columbia, and North Carolina. Alex will be starting her PhD in higher education this fall. In her spare time, she loves rock climbing, rafting, canyoneering, and backpacking. She is a climbing wall instructor, lifeguard, CPR instructor, and Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician.
- Education: Ohio University; bachelor’s degree in journalism and outdoor education, master’s degree in recreation studies
- Why is working for Adventure Treks important to you? I love sharing the incredible experience of being outside, facing challenges, and seeing kids realize that they can accomplish so much more than they imagined. The impact of going on trips like these is life-changing in so many respects. It uniquely shapes the way we view the world and appreciate our environment.
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I am excited about everything! The dedicated instructors I work with, the incredible kids that we meet, and the wonderful places that we get to see and share. It’s phenomenal.
- What do you do when not working for AT? Travel as much as possible, climb, and backpack.
- Favorite outdoor memory? My favorite memory is seeing the joy and empowerment that reaching the summit of a climb brought to a group. It never fails to amaze me how a group comes together and supports one another through a challenging experience.
- Favorite quote: “In wildness is the preservation of the world.” – Henry David Thoreau