Instructor, LAS - spring 2022
Originally from Atlanta, GA, Caroline grew up attending Camp Illahee in Brevard, NC, and spent a lot of time backpacking, hiking, and rafting with her family. Caroline’s passion for outdoors grew on a 30-day mountaineering trip in the North Cascade National Park. Prior to Adventure Treks, she was a youth environmental education intern at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, where she created lesson plans for kids and teenagers. She was also a trip leader at the University of North Carolina Asheville, taking students on backpacking, rock climbing, fly fishing, and skiing adventures in the western NC mountains. After her second season at Adventure Treks, Caroline headed to Big Bend National Park in Texas to guide canoe trips on the Rio Grande River; most recently, she’s been a whitewater rafting guide on the Chattooga and Nantahala rivers. Caroline returns to Adventure Treks for her third season as an instructor.
- Education: University of North Carolina Asheville; bachelor’s degree in environmental education
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Backpacking the Mardi Himal Trek in Nepal and summiting just as the clouds moved and revealed an awe-inspiring view of Machhapuchhare (Fishtail) Mountain. It had been totally socked in and obscured by clouds for a week and half prior. It felt really special that Mother Earth shared that moment with us.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: A recent highlight was spending three weeks rafting down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. We saw a double rainbow on Christmas Eve after running one of the more intimidating rapids, Crystal (class 8).
- Favorite places you’ve traveled to: Nepal, Laos, and Ecuador
- Favorite hobbies: I enjoy just about any whitewater sport, with canoeing and rafting being my favorites. I love creating images with my film camera, doing pottery, sewing, and painting. I’m really passionate about gardening, sustainable agriculture, experiential education, sustainability, and environmental justice. I’m also pretty good at picking wildflowers, chasing butterflies, taking naps in the sun, and hanging out with my rescue kitten, Goose. And traveling, of course!
- What do you hope to learn this summer? How to not fall out of rafts so much!
- Anything else you’d like to share? My favorite color is purple, and I love lavender ice cream.