Instructor, Ultimate Blue Ridge 1 & Blue Ridge Adventure 2
Originally from Atlanta, GA, Caroline grew up attending Camp Illahee in Brevard, NC, and spent a lot of time backpacking, hiking, and rafting with her family. Caroline’s passion for outdoors grew on a 30-day mountaineering trip in the North Cascade National Park. Prior to Adventure Treks, she was a youth environmental education intern at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, where she created lesson plans for kids and teenagers. She was also a trip leader at the University of North Carolina Asheville, taking students on backpacking, rock climbing, fly fishing, and skiing adventures in the western NC mountains. Caroline returns to Adventure Treks for her second season as an instructor.
- Education: University of North Carolina Asheville; bachelor’s degree in environmental studies
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Leading my second UNC Asheville wilderness pre-orientation program in nearby Pisgah National Forest with some of my best friends. We had a great group of incoming freshmen and never stopped laughing—especially after I fell into waist-deep mud. It makes me smile just thinking about it.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: In October 2019, I completed the Mardi Himal trek in Nepal and reached base camp at 14,763 feet after a week of rain and storms. The clouds cleared (finally!) just for an hour at the summit, and we were able to enjoy what was probably the most beautiful mountain scenery I’ve ever seen.
- Countries visited: Australia, Austria, Croatia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Laos, Nepal, Poland, Thailand, and Vietnam
- What do you do when not working for AT? I enjoy film photography, traveling, weaving and pottery, backpacking, mountaineering, gardening, volunteering, reading and writing, teaching kids about the environment, and identifying flowers. Also… I would read your full astrology birth chart!