Instructor, California Adventure & California Challenge 3
Hailing from Thornville, OH, Colton joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. After graduating from The Ohio State University, he served with the AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corp, and then as a site coordinator for the Reading Partners program with AmeriCorps in Charleston, SC. Later, he founded a mobile education program in Charleston for local fifth graders. His outdoor experience includes being a trip leader for CAmp Winnebago in Maine, where he led multi-day backpacking trips on the Appalachian Trail, and being a science and outdoor education instructor at the Pali Institute in California’s San Bernardino Mountains.
- Education: The Ohio State University; bachelor’s degree in public affairs and nonprofit management
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I’m so excited to be part of the AT community and meet all the other instructors and students. I can’t wait to show the students the wonders of the natural world and to empower them to feel the exhilaration of adventure that lives outside their comfort zones.
- Favorite outdoor memory? When I hiked the Hundred-Mile Wilderness, summited Mt. Katahdin, and did Knife’s Edge with campers.
- Favorite quote: Max Ehrmann’s “Desiderata” poem.