Instructor, Ultimate Northwest 1 & Pacific Northwest Adventure 2
Originally from Madison, IN, Ellen joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor (though she also spent two summers with AT as a student in California and Alaska). Last summer, Ellen was a trip leader for Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing in Virginia, where she took campers on backpacking trips. She’s also worked as a teaching assistant in biochemistry labs and currently mentors underserved students.
- Education: Purdue University, bachelor’s degree in neurobiology and physiology
- Certifications: Wilderness emergency medical technician and emergency medical technician
- Favorite outdoor memory: Watching for shooting stars at a random lake my friends and I came across in Shoshone National Forest. Or when I was in Alaska on an AT trip, we were backpacking along some ATV trails and it had been absolutely pouring, so there were these massive puddles everywhere. A few other students and I spent the whole hike jumping into and through the puddles making a game out of it.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Ketchikan, AK
- Favorite hobbies: I love skiing! I also love playing card games, volleyball, spikeball, and kan jam. I spend most of my time with my best friend Kirby (my German Shepherd). I especially love meeting new people, making new friends, and trying new things!
- What do you hope to learn this summer? I’m most excited to learn about the instructors and students that AT brings in!
- What are you most excited for this summer? This summer I’m most excited to build connections with each student and instructor and help them explore outside of their comfort zones in any way I can! I’m also excited about getting to experience all of the amazing places we’ll get to go!