Trip leader, Alaska Expedition 1b
A Rochester, NY, native, Em now splits her time between Montana and Arizona and is returning to Adventure Treks for her third season as an instructor. Em was a youth development professional for the Boys & Girls Club of America, where she developed educational programming for elementary and middle school students. She’s also worked as an instructor for the Glacier Institute’s Big Creek Outdoor Education Center in Montana, teaching lessons on environmental science. Em spent time at Pok-O-MacCready Outdoor Education Center in New York as an instructor, leading hiking, flatwater paddling, and climbing trips; she’s also been a counselor at Hidden Valley Camp in Maine; a paddling instructor at Syracuse University’s Outing Club; a research intern at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln; and a farming intern on San Juan Island, WA.
- Education: SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, bachelor’s degree in environmental health
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard
- Favorite outdoor memory: Touching my first glacier last summer and pretending to have a beach day on top of it. I ate too many Swedish fish, got sunburned, ran on the way down, and saw my first pika!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: I’ve hiked the 46 tallest mountains in upstate New York!
- Countries visited: Canada, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Malawi, Switzerland
- Favorite hobbies: I love long day hikes and jumping into a cold lake after. I’ve been running for a long time, and I recently started teaching myself how to longboard.