Though she calls Bloomington, IN, her hometown, Gillian now resides in DuPont, WA. She was an outdoor environmental educator at the YMCA’s Colman Outdoor Environmental Education, where she taught lessons on geology, ecology, wildlife, and marine biology for middle schoolers. She also led courses on basic survival skills and on the high and low ropes course. At Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, she was a cowboy and backcountry program counselor, leading backpacking and whitewater rafting trips and courses on horseback riding, roping, and orienteering. Gillian joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor.
- Education: Indiana University, bachelor’s degrees in environmental and sustainability studies, journalism, and political science
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Summiting Baldy Mountain at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico with my best friend at sunrise in 2019. It was the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever seen, and being there with someone who meant so much to me was awesome!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: One of my favorite highlights was summiting my first ever Colorado 14er. Two of my Colorado friends asked if I wanted to go for a “quick hike” that ended up taking us to a 14,058-foot peak in the San Juans.
- Favorite hobbies: I’m a photography and video nut, and I love to write and draw. I’ve been a cyclist for years and enjoy tinkering with my bikes! Since moving to the Pacific Northwest, I’ve found a love for mountain biking. I have a daily yoga practice which pairs nicely with my bouldering and backpacking hobbies. Music is my lifeblood, and I’m always on the hunt for a new album to geek out on or a song to learn on my guitar.