Trip leader, California Challenge 1 & Pacific Northwest Explorer
Hannah is a former Adventure Treks student (four summers: Pacific Northwest, California, Utah, and Alaska) and this year is returning for her fourth season as a trip leader. Originally from western North Carolina, Hannah spent four summers leading backpacking and canoeing trips at Camp Pinnacle. Currently, she’s a teaching assistant in a first grade classroom in Hendersonville; in her free time, she love to stand-up paddle board and mountain bike.
- Education: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; bachelor’s degree in political science and global studies
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- Why is working for Adventure Treks important to you? AT helped me know that who I am is valuable and that I am capable of way more than I thought. I love being a part of facilitating a community where students can gain confidence and know who they are as an individual.
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I’m most excited to go backpacking with students and be a part of the close community that forms after the first backpack.
- Favorite outdoor memory? One of my favorite outdoor memories is climbing Mt. Shasta as the sun rose and cast a shadow of the mountain onto the valley below. There was a moment where I realized I was in that huge shadow—I was a small part of something way bigger.
- Favorite quote: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead