A Portland, OR, native, Hayden most recently worked as a ski instructor for Steamboat Springs in Colorado. Previously, she lived in New Hampshire where she works as the lead guide for kids at Summit Achievement Wilderness Therapy. During her time at OSU, she managed the indoor climbing center, teaching rock climbing courses and training new staff. She’s also led whitewater rafting, canyoneering, mountaineering, and rock climbing trips throughout Oregon for the school’s Adventure Leadership Institute.
- Education: Oregon State University, bachelor’s degree in kinesiology
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, climbing wall instructor, sport climbing instructor, Leave No Trace trainer, swiftwater rescue, PSIA alpine level 1, AIARE avalanche 1
- Favorite outdoor memory: Mountaineering in the Selkirk Mountains the summer after I graduated high school. We got helicopter-ed to our basecamp and stayed there for eight days summiting the peaks around us. One day I was sick and stayed at basecamp by myself, and it was an unreal experience.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Most recently, one of my outdoor highlights was hiking the Pemi Loop, a gorgeous 32-mile backpack in the White Mountains. I did it with one of my best friends, and we spent three days slogging up and down the mountains, laughing, looking at trees occasionally some views, and getting covered in sweat, grime, and sunscreen.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: San Juan Islands, WA
- Favorite hobbies: Rock climbing, skiing, and baking pies
- What are you most excited for this summer? I am excited to be present and in nature with some incredible people. I love the challenges that come with these trips and watching students figure out how to manage them and grow from these experiences.
- Previous Adventure Treks trips include Pacific Northwest Adventure and Ultimate Northwest