Instructor, Blue Ridge Expedition 1a & Blue Ridge Expedition 2
Heather grew up in the mountains of North Carolina but now calls Salt Lake City home, where she is a certified nursing assistant at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Before she came to Adventure Treks, Heather was a residential coach at a therapeutic boarding school for teenage girls in North Carolina. She spent three years leading backpacking trips for incoming freshmen at ASU and worked at Outdoor Programs’ climbing wall after finding her passion for outdoor summer camps as a counselor at NC’s Camp Gwynn Valley. She’s also worked as a pre-kindergarten teacher in Park City, UT, and a ski instructor at Steamboat Resort in CO. Heather is returning to Adventure Treks for her fifth season as an instructor.
- Education: Appalachian State University; bachelor’s degree in social work
- Medical certifications: Wilderness first responder, certified nursing assistant
- Favorite outdoor memory: Backpacking during a multi-day torrential downpour mid-summer outside of Boone, NC!
- Biggest outdoor achievement: A multi-day raft trip down the Rio Marañón, also known as the main headwaters of the Amazon River.
- Countries visited: Costa Rica, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Peru, and Switzerland
- Favorite hobbies: I love rock climbing, practicing yoga, puzzles, baking, and playing board games.