Instructor, Ultimate Northwest 1 & Pacific Northwest Adventure 2
Heather grew up in the mountains of North Carolina. In college, she spent a semester abroad studying outdoor education and sustainability in New Zealand, and for three years worked with Appalachian State University’s outdoor programs, leading the freshmen orientation backpacking program. Heather is a Wilderness First Responder and is joining Adventure Treks for her third season as an instructor.
- Education: Appalachian State University; bachelor’s degree in social work
- Why is working for Adventure Treks important to you? Working for Adventure Treks reminds and challenges me to be my best self and encourage others to do the same
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? The laughter and friendships I’ll get to share with students and instructors.
- What do you do when not working for AT? I love climbing, yoga, hiking, traveling, skiing, playing with dogs, and baking desserts!
- Favorite outdoor memory? Rafting on the Rio Marañon (aka the Grand Canyon of the Amazon in Peru), portaging two massive rapids, and evacuating from the river by hiking out of a 4,500-foot-high canyon while leaving our river gear behind.
- Favorite quote: “True belonging doesn’t require us to change who we are. It requires us to be who we are.” –Brené Brown