Ian returns to Adventure Treks for his sixth season as an instructor. During his time at Lewis & Clark College, Ian led backcountry trips for the school’s outdoor program. He spent three summers as a research lab assistant, organizing and leading field expeditions, including collecting spiders and other arachnids across the Caribbean. He’s also worked as a ski instructor at Beaver Creek Resort in Colorado. Ian also has a master’s degree in ecology and evolution at the University of Oregon. Fun fact: This Eugene, OR, resident owns a map-making company called Map Your Adventure!
- Education: Lewis & Clark College; bachelor’s degree in biology
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, AAIRE avalanche level 1
- Favorite outdoor memory: One would have to be climbing Mt. Shasta; it was a big and challenging adventure with a really positive group. I’ve never laughed so hard climbing a mountain.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: Skiing down from the top of every major volcano in the Pacific Northwest!
- Countries visited: Antigua, Bahamas, Canada, Dominican Republic, Kenya, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Tanzania