Instructor, Leadership Summit
During his time at Lewis & Clark, Ian was a trip leader for the outdoor program. He spent three summers organizing and leading field expeditions, including collecting spiders and other arachnids across the Caribbean. Ian is currently pursuing a PhD in ecology and evolution at the University of Oregon and is returning to Adventure Treks for his sixth season as an instructor.
- Education: Lewis & Clark College; bachelor’s degree in biology
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, avalanche level 1
- Why is working for Adventure Treks important to you? Forming community and the outdoors have both been such important parts of my life. Adventure Treks’ focus on both things is potent and unique from other programs I have encountered.
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I’m really excited to foster students confidence so they can lead their friends into the outdoors. Also, van dance parties!
- Favorite outdoor memory? In the last year, it would have to be climbing Mt. Shasta; it was a big and challenging adventure with a really positive group. I’ve never laughed so hard climbing a mountain.
- Favorite quote: “When everything goes wrong, that’s when adventure starts.” – Yvon Chouinard