A New York native, Jackie lives just outside of the Catskill Mountains where she’s pursuing a master’s degree from Bard College. There, she a sustainability fellow for the school’s Center for Environmental Policy. Last summer, she created curriculum for Mission Earth Camp, and before that she was a teaching assistant for Frontiers Abroad Earth Systems in New Zealand. During her time at Bowdoin, Jackie was an outing club leader, helping other students develop leadership skills on backpacking, canoeing, and stand-up paddling trips. Jackie has led canoeing and backpacking trips and taught science lessons for the Chewonki Foundation in Maine; was a teaching intern for marine biology at Northfield Mount Hermon School; and created environmental and nature curriculum for children at the Massachusetts Audubon Society Summer Camps.
- Education: Bowdoin College, bachelor’s degree in earth and oceanographic sciences and environmental studies; currently pursuing a dual master’s degree in environmental education and arts and teaching from Bard College
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: It’s hard to choose just one! Summiting Mt. Katahdin was pretty special for me. It was a 4.5-year-long goal, and each time I tried there was a setback. I finally reached the summit on a beautiful fall day with impeccable weather and unbelievable fall foliage views. To round out the day, I saw my first moose! Also, swimming alongside majestic whale sharks in Mexico, floating above sea turtles in the Gili Islands in Indonesia, and diving the Great Barrier Reef are some other favorite memories.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Planning and leading a week-long backpack along the Abel Tasman Coast Track in New Zealand. It was a paradise of golden sand beaches fringed by lush coastal forests and clear, blue-green water.
- Countries visited: Australia, Bahamas, Bali, Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Czech Republic, Fiji, France, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Turks and Caicos
- Favorite hobbies: Backpacking and hiking, canoeing, skiing, baking and cooking, photography, and knitting.