Instructor, California Challenge 1 & Pacific Northwest Explorer
Jake, originally from Orange County, CA, grew up spending his summers at camp in Maine where he developed a love and appreciation for the natural world. Jake is a Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician and CPR and lifeguard instructor, and holds his Avalanche 2 certification. He is joining Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor.
- Education: Chapman University; bachelor’s degree in kinesiology
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? The opportunity to share my excitement of being outdoors with young people.
- What do you do when not working for AT? I work for Naturalists at Large in the fall and spring, and for Big Bear and Mt. Baldy in California as a ski patroller in the winter. I’m also a freelance photographer and videographer, specializing in adventure media.
- Favorite outdoor memory? On the last night of a backpacking course in Joshua Tree, my students and I sat atop a huge pile of boulders while eating chocolate and watching the sun set. We sat there in silence for probably 45 minutes, all elated from the trip we had just experienced.
- Favorite quote: “The story you tell yourself becomes your reality.” – Chad Kellogg