Kalie Hirt calls her native Chicago home, where she’s an assistant teacher at Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School. Prior to Bernard Zell, Kalie was an assistant teacher at Colorado College’s Cheryl Schlessman Bennett Children’s Center. A former Adventure Treks student, she has worked for camps every summer for the past eight years, including spending a summer at a camp in Israel (and can speak Hebrew). She was a trip leader for Camp Pinnacle, where she led backpacking and whitewater rafting trips. She also led backpacking trips for Ramah in the Rockies and was a trip leader for Colorado College’s outdoor education program, where she facilitated skiing trips for students. Kalie joins Adventure Treks for her first summer as an instructor.
- Education: Colorado College, bachelor’s degree in education
- Medical certifications: Wilderness first responder, lifeguard, PADI open water diver, CSIA level 2 ski instructor, AST level 2 avalanche training
- Favorite outdoor memory: One summer when I was an Adventure Treks student, I remember laying under the stars at the foot of massive redwood trees after an incredible adventure on California Challenge. The extraordinary beauty of the environment coupled with the power of the community we had built has stayed with me all of these years. Also, I am all about the flair, and as a four-year AT alum, I can’t wait to create community with the help of one of the highlights of AT, evening meeting!
- Biggest outdoor achievement: Hiking the Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru at 15,000 feet was a rewarding and memorable experience after working in an orphanage in Cusco. The five-day hike had amazing views and incredible history. Another big achievement was earning my level 2 ski instructor certification while skiing at Whistler. Spending eleven weeks on the slopes was both challenging and exhilarating.
- Countries visited: Antarctica, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, China, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, South Africa, South Korea, Zambia
- Favorite hobbies: I love to ski, hike, and bike; I also love to create art through drawing, clay, and painting. Other hobbies include puzzles, board games, and baking.