Instructor, British Columbia Adventure 1 & 2
Katie is joining Adventure Treks for her second season as an instructor. She has led hiking and backpacking trips for the GUTS Outdoor Program in Missoula, MT, and for the CU hiking club in Boulder, CO; she’s also guided trips in California, Oregon, and Washington. She is a National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) graduate and recently completed a semester in Alaska backpacking and mountaineering.
- Education: University of Colorado at Boulder; bachelor’s degree in geography and public health
- Certification: Wilderness emergency medical technician
- Why is working for Adventure Treks important to you? I feel like I have learned a lot and grown as a person through my wilderness escapades and the folks I have adventured with. I love helping students step out of their comfort zone, learn something new, and be their best self.
- Favorite outdoor memory? My favorite outdoor memories are from growing up hiking, fishing, and climbing with my grandfather in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana. Instead of going to theme parks, my family went to the cabin, and instead of going to football games I went skiing. The mountains are where I learned to work hard, to love science, and to be myself.
- Favorite quote: “Not all who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien