Instructor, California Challenge 1 & Pacific Northwest Explorer
Katie is excited to be joining Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. She has led hiking and backpacking trips for the GUTS Outdoor Program in Missoula, MT, and for the CU hiking club in Boulder, CO. She is a National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) graduate and recently completed a semester in Alaska backpacking and mountaineering. She is a Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician.
- Education: University of Colorado at Boulder; bachelor’s degree in geography and public health
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I am excited to meet everyone! I love spending time outside, and I can’t wait to share it with the AT community. I have met some truly amazing and inspiring people in my time guiding and adventuring. I feel like a have learned a lot and grown as a person through the outdoor activities and communities that I have had the privilege of working with.
- What do you do when not working for AT? I am a climbing instructor, a science nerd, an avid adventurer, a tea connoisseur, and a bookworm!
- Favorite outdoor memory? My favorite outdoor memories are from growing up hiking, fishing, and climbing with my grandfather in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana. Instead of going to theme parks, my family went to the cabin, and instead of going to football games I went skiing. The mountains are where I learned to work hard, to love science, and to be myself. Get outside!
- Favorite quote: “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien