Instructor: Alaska Expedition 1a & Ultimate Northwest 2
Katie is an Oregon native and resident, but has also lived in Colorado and New Zealand. Prior to joining Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor, Katie spent two summers with Alpengirl, an all-girls outdoor adventure camp; there, she led paddling and backpacking expeditions and taught local ecology, Leave No Trace principles, and environmental stewardship. While at Colorado College, Katie led hiking and multi-day rafting trips for the school’s outdoor program. She also interned for Sustainable Coastlines, where she facilitated beach clean-ups and tree-planting events in Wellington, NZ, before working on several different organic farms on the North and South Islands.
- Education: Colorado College, bachelor’s degree in environmental policy
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: A group of friends and I spent a night at Mueller Hut in Mt. Cook National Park, NZ. We had amazing, sunny weather during the hike up to the hut, got to (safely) see and hear avalanches on the surrounding peaks, and—after a glorious sunset—got to stargaze one of the world’s darkest night skies. There’s nothing better than making memories with friends in a beautiful place!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Leading a group of teens up Desolation Peak in the North Cascades and celebrating with Oreos at the top!
- Countries visited: Canada, Greece, New Zealand
- Favorite hobbies: I love the outdoors and try to spend as much time outside as possible! I enjoy hiking, yoga, swimming, and paddling. I also love cooking, am passionate about social justice, and dedicate time to education and action.