Trip leader, Alaska Expedition 1a
Originally from West Virginia, Katy is returning to Adventure Treks for her fifth season as a trip leader. Most recently, she’s worked as a customer experience guide with Patagonia in Salt Lake City. Before that, she was an experiential education coordinator for the Science Adventure School in West Virginia. She’s spent a few winter seasons in Big Sky, MT, helping run the “20 Below” youth and family center at the Yellowstone Club. Also while at WVU, Katy was a trip leader with their outdoor program Adventure WV, guiding week-long backpacking, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, and team-building trips for incoming freshmen. She was also the manager for Adventure WV’s canopy tours, where her responsibilities included overseeing risk management and safety of the kids and teenagers who participated.
- Education: West Virginia University; bachelor’s degree in public health
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, Leave No Trace master educator, AAI avalanche level 1
- Favorite outdoor memory: Hiking out to hot springs one night in Montana with a group of friends. We had the springs to ourselves, and it was one of the nicer evenings we’d had so far that season.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: I did a four-day, three-night solo, self-supported kayaking trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota. It was the first time I had done a trip like that, and it was really empowering!
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Honestly, the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington is my favorite place I’ve ever been to. High alpine meadows, craggy mountains, Cascade volcanoes, and mountain goats—how could it not be my favorite?
- Favorite hobbies: I enjoy backpacking, canoeing, and climbing—really anything that takes me into the backcountry and into the mountains! I also love fun coffee shops, knitting, and reading a good book!
- Best advice you’ve received: The best advice I’ve ever received by a mentor was, “You have to power to make any decision a good one. And, ultimately, whatever decision you make is the correct one because that’s the one you made.”
- What do you hope to learn this summer? Every student and instructor teaches me something different every season, and I’m excited for whatever that will be!
- What are you most excited for this summer? I’m excited to be able to share the community that I love at AT with our fantastic students in beautiful places!