Having grown up in West Virginia, Katy has spent the last two winter seasons in Big Sky, MT, helping run the “20 Below” youth and family center at the Yellowstone Club. Previously, Katy was a trip leader with Adventure WV, guiding week-long backpacking, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, and team-building trips for incoming freshmen. She was also the manager for Adventure WV’s canopy tours, where her responsibilities included overseeing risk management and safety of the kids and teenagers who participated. Katy is returning to Adventure Treks for her fourth season as a trip leader.
- Education: West Virginia University; bachelor’s degree in public health
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: I went on a month-long road trip with another AT instructor. At one point, we ended up in this primitive campsite between Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks; it was on a small lake, and we had our own private beach. We made dinner on the beach along with some very gooey chocolate chip cookies and took turns playing the ukulele until nightfall. It took approximately four months to get all of the sand out of my cast iron, but I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: I did a four-day, three-night solo, self-supported kayaking trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota. It was the first time I had done a trip like that, and it was really empowering!
- Favorite hobbies: I enjoy backpacking, climbing, skiing, and canoeing! I also love finding fun coffee shops, visiting unique roadside attractions, and reading a good book.