Instructor, Ultimate Blue Ridge 1 & Blue Ridge Adventure 2
Having grown up in West Virginia, Katy now spends her winter season in Big Sky, MT, helping run the “20 Below” youth and family center at the Yellowstone Club. Previously, Katy was a trip leader with Adventure WV, guiding week-long backpacking, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, and team-building trips for incoming freshmen. She was also the manager for Adventure WV’s canopy tours, where her responsibilities included overseeing risk management and safety of the kids and teenagers who participated. Katy returns to Adventure Treks for her third season as an instructor.
- Education: West Virginia University; bachelor’s degree in public health
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Soaking in hot springs beside the Rio Grande River in Big Bend National Park under a full moon and more stars than I had ever seen in my life.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: A few years ago, I helped plan a 10-day backpacking and canoeing trip along the Foothills Trail and Lake Jocassee in North and South Carolina. I learned a lot from that trip and was able to spend time with amazing people in an incredible place.
- Favorite hobbies: I enjoy hiking, painting, climbing, backpacking, and good books.