A California local, Kyle is joining Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. During and after college, Kyle spent four years as a trip leader for his university’s outdoor program, Poly Escapes. There, he led backpacking, rock climbing, and camping trips throughout California’s national parks, including Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Yosemite, and Joshua Tree. He was also a board member, helping run the leadership and training program for new instructors. He spent some time volunteering for Camp Kesem in San Luis Obispo and at an eco-lodge in Costa Rica. During this last year of lockdown, Kyle was a chemist for Promega Biosciences, working in the manufacturing department with the materials that go into making PCR test kids.
- Education: California Polytechnic State University, bachelor’s degree in microbiology
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Studying abroad in New Zealand, I was on a kayaking trip to Milford Sound. A blizzard hit the last day we were there, snowing us in and blocking the road for an entire week. Luckily, we had plenty of extra food and got to kayak more incredible rivers, getting the entire sound all to ourselves! Hands-down the best place to be “trapped” by the weather.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Thru-hiking the John Muir Trail after my freshman year of college; I spent 17 priceless, beautiful days in the Eastern Sierra.
- Countries visited: Borneo, Costa Rica, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand
- Favorite hobbies: In the outdoor realm, my passions are kayaking, kite surfing, and backpacking. I also love cooking, live music, and exploring new places.