A California local, Kyle has spent the last several spring and fall seasons as a gap semester instructor for ARCC. During and after college, Kyle spent four years as a trip leader for his university’s outdoor program, Poly Escapes. There, he led backpacking, rock climbing, and camping trips throughout California’s national parks, including Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Yosemite, and Joshua Tree. He was also a board member, helping run the leadership and training program for new instructors. He spent some time volunteering for Camp Kesem in San Luis Obispo and at an eco-lodge in Costa Rica, and he was a chemist for Promega Biosciences, working in the manufacturing department with the materials that go into making PCR test for kids.
- Education: California Polytechnic State University, bachelor’s degree in microbiology
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, PADI advanced open water diver
- Favorite outdoor memory: Studying abroad in New Zealand, I was on a kayaking trip to Milford Sound. A blizzard hit the last day we were there, snowing us in and blocking the road for an entire week. Luckily, we had plenty of extra food and got to kayak more incredible rivers, getting the entire sound all to ourselves! Hands-down the best place to be “trapped” by the weather.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Rowing and kayaking all 280 miles of the Grand Canyon (most of which was done in full costume)!
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: The coral reefs of Naviti Island in Fiji
- Favorite hobbies: In the outdoor realm, my passions are kayaking, kite surfing, and backpacking. I also love live music, cooking, dancing, and exploring new places.
- What are you excited about this summer? To see the amazing community face-to-face again! And I want to learn more creative ways to engage students and get them excited about learning new skills and being open to new experiences.
- Previous Adventure Treks trips include Idaho Adventure, Pacific Northwest Adventure, California Challenge, California Adventure