Liz joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. Originally from Connecticut, Liz now calls Charleston, SC, home. There, she’s the expeditions coordinator for Coastal Expeditions and guides multi-day sea kayaking and hiking trips through the Lowcountry. Before that, she was volunteered with AmeriCorps, where she was trained in conflict management, facilitated garden reconstruction projects, and led summer enrichment programs for children. She also volunteered as an assistant teacher for the Seeds of Change garden club, helping build greenhouses at an elementary school and teaching students about sustainability, conservation, and environmental stewardship practices.
- Education: Sewanee: The University of the South, bachelor’s degree in international global studies
- Medical and outdoor certifications: Wilderness first responder, ACA level 1 sea kayaking, Leave No Trace master educator
- Favorite outdoor memory: It’s hard to choose, but I’d say having a spotted eagle ray jump over my kayak on the Kiawah River!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Hiking 300 miles of the El Camino de Santiago in northern Spain!
- Countries visited: Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Iceland, Ireland, Jamaica, Mexico, Spain
- Favorite hobbies: I love kayaking, live music, snapping cool pictures of wildlife, and any activity that gets me out into fresh air!