Hailing from Hanover, NH, Lucia joins Adventure Treks for her second season as an instructor. Previously, she was a gap-year instructor for ARCC where she traveled around China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand with a group of 18-year-old students; she’s also been a program instructor for Berkshire Outdoor Center in Massachusetts, facilitating environmental and outdoor education courses for children and adults of all ages. She spent a summer in New Zealand as an international travel and service program leader for the Auckland YMCA, and before that was an assistant psychologist for the Fundación General Ecuatoriana in Quito for young adults. While at Dartmouth, Lucia was the director of the first-year trips program; interned with Greenpeace; helped manage the college’s farm; and was a counselor at Camp Akeela in Vermont.
- Education: Dartmouth College; bachelor’s degree in psychology
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: The first time I completed a big summit was on New Hampshire’s Mt. Moosilauke (4,802 feet) as a freshman in college. I had never really hiked before, and I joined a group completing a “sunrike” (a sunrise hike, where we woke up in the middle of the night and hiked for hours to watch the sun rise from the top). It was freezing and we had to huddle together in sleeping bags, but I got to bear witness to one of the most incredible sunrises I have ever seen, and I remember feeling so grateful and in awe of being in a place where I could so easily spend time outside. To this day, Mt. Moosilauke is my favorite mountain.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: I organized and ran an outdoor trip that brought 1,000 first-year college students into the White Mountains!
- Countries visited: Canada, Cambodia, Colombia, Ecuador, England, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, Thailand
- Favorite hobbies: I love to backpack, hike, kayak, climb, and learn more about the plants and animals native to wherever I’m spending time outside. I also love reading, watching or listening to any kind of comedy, gardening, and cooking.