Instructor, California Challenge 1 & Pacific Northwest Explorer
Originally from western North Carolina, Lukas still calls the Blue Ridge Mountains home. There, he works as an outdoor education instructor for Mountain Trails Outdoor School. He spent several summers working as a camp counselor and then trip leader at a traditional summer camp, leading hiking, backpacking, rafting, canoeing, and mountain biking trips for kids and teens. During his time at Williams, he worked as a snowboard instructor and teaching assistant.
- Education: Williams College, bachelor’s degree in chemistry and philosophy
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Most of my favorite outdoor memories are ones I shared with friends or students around me, in particular, watching the clouds clear to reveal a beautiful view after a long and rainy backpack from the top of Mount Greylock, MA, surrounded by some of my best friends.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: My first solo backpacking trip on the Foothills Trail.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: My favorite place I’ve traveled too, and my favorite place to snowboard, is Stratton, VT.
- Favorite hobbies: I enjoy hiking, backpacking, snowboarding, foraging, and mountain biking. I also like to read and write occasionally in my spare time. I’m also a huge fan of team trivia nights with friends!
- What are you most excited for this summer? All of my experience has come up and done the east coast of the US, but I am so excited to finally visit out west! I cannot wait to share my past experience and knowledge with AT students, as well as having genuinely new ones together! I’m particularly excited to see kayak at the San Juan islands. I cannot wait for the chance to wear flair again.