Instructor: California Adventure 1 & California Challenge 3
An Asheville, NC, resident, Maggie currently works at the Riveter, and rock climbing gym and mountain bike park. Previously, she was a trip leader in the mountaineering department at the Asheville School, where she took students on climbing, biking, fly fishing, and environmental education courses. She was also a trip leader for Mountain Alliance, a non-profit organization that provides after-school and weekend outings in outdoor adventure, community service, and cultural activities for teenagers. While in school at Appalachian State, Maggie worked for their Outdoor Programs as an environmental educator, backpacking instructor, and climbing wall and challenge course facilitator. She also spent a summer as a counselor for Wavus Camp for Girls, which included leading a canoe expedition down the Moose River in Maine. Maggie joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor.
- Education: Appalachian State University, bachelor’s degree in recreation management & outdoor experiential education
- Medical and outdoor certifications: Wilderness first responder, PMBIA level one mountain bike instructor
- Favorite outdoor memory: My most magical memories in the woods include long mountain bike rides in the forest that end with a cold dip in Appalachian streams.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: Having the opportunity to teach and mentor aspiring outdoor leaders as a teacher’s assistant for my department’s “Principles of Outdoor Experiential Education” course at Appalachian State.
- Favorite hobbies: I feel most alive when mountain biking, foraging and identifying flora and fauna, participating in activism, and teaching. I feel most grounded when cooking, gardening, and building community. Other hobbies include rock climbing, camping, and hula hooping! I also love to nerd out about ecology and history of the land. If you ask me where we are on the trip, I just might have a fun fact to share!