Maria hails from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and is a former Adventure Treks student! Maria found her love for the outdoors after spending six summers with AT in middle and high school; she then went on to work at Camp Pinnacle for two summers as a counselor. During her time at Davidson, Maria led backpacking, rock climbing, caving, canoeing, and fly fishing trips for other students; she was also a trip leader for the freshmen pre-orientation program. Maria joins Adventure Treks for her first season as a support staff.
- Education: Davidson College, bachelor’s degree in environmental studies
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder, PCIA top rope climbing instructor
- Favorite outdoor memory: Hiking Chelela Pass (13,084 feet) in Bhutan. A friend and I got there before everyone else, so for a few minutes we got to sit in the quiet and in awe of the Himalayas around us.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: A “no-flip” run on Nantahala River’s Nantahala Falls in a tandem canoe!
- Countries visited: Bhutan, Canada, Cuba, Spain, Thailand
- Favorite hobbies: I love the outdoors, especially backpacking, rock climbing, scuba diving, caving, and canoeing. I also love playing card games, trivia, finding new ways to hug, and unsuccessfully caring for plants.