Instructor, Yellowstone Teton Adventure 1, 2, & 3
Matt is joining Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. Having already attained a bachelor’s degree in outdoor education from Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology in Ireland, Matt is completing his second degree at Western Carolina University. There, he is a climbing wall supervisor and lead guide for Basecamp Cullowhee, Western’s outdoor program for students. He’s also been a raft guide for Black Mountain Expeditions in North Carolina and JH Ranch in California.
- Education: Western Carolina University, bachelor’s degree in parks and recreation management; Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, bachelor’s degree in outdoor leadership
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, AMGA climbing wall instructor, National Ski Patrol mountain travel and rescue, lifeguard
- What excites you most about working for AT this summer? I am fired up about having the opportunity to teach in some really incredible places. It’s always refreshing to take a summer and dedicate it to the growth of others because all of your actions have the opportunity to impact the kids you are working with and it’s incredible rewarding!
- Favorite outdoor memory: I was instructing a beginner multi-day whitewater kayaking trip and my little sister happened to be a participant. We were setting shuttle when Katie expressed that she would like to catch a trout while kayaking on the river and everyone laughed at the thought of something so ridiculous. Later that day, I was helping one of the newbies drain their kayak after a swim when a scream of absolute joy peels out across the water from upstream. I look up to see my little sister floating in an eddy with an arm thrust high into the air and a trout wriggling in her grasp. For some reason she felt inclined to kiss the fish over and over again in her excitement. I laughed so hard a cried.
- Favorite quote: “And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” – Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling