Instructor: California Challenge 1, California Adventure 2, & Morehead Cain Scholars program
A Maryland native, Matthias joins Adventure Treks for his first season at Adventure Treks. He’s spent the last nine years at Calleva Outdoors, most recently serving as the head instructor for their Leaders in Training program for teenagers. There, he lead teens through orienteering and ropes courses, night hikes, solo camping trips, and more. He also spent time in Sichuan, China, working as an outdoor educator and program designer for Dragon Expeditions, an ecotourism company that leads classes in arts and crafts, cultural practices, cooking, architecture, hiking, and camping.
- Education: University of Maryland, bachelor’s degree in Chinese language
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder, PCIA top rope climbing instructor
- Favorite outdoor memory: Summiting Old Rag Mountain in Virginia after hiking up for three hours in the dark and rain, and hiking above the storm to look out on mist and clouds. It was an incredibly beautiful moment for me, and a wonderful achievement.
- Countries visited: Canada, China, England, Germany, Italy, Thailand
- Favorite hobbies: I love to make things, art and woodworking in particular. I also enjoy powerlifting, rock climbing, and karate.