Instructor: California Challenge 2
An Orlando, FL, resident, Matty joins Adventure Treks for their first season as an instructor. Matty most recently worked as a whitewater rafting guide for the Nantahala Outdoor Center in western NC. During their time at the University of Central Florida, Matty was a supervisor for the outdoor adventure center; they trained new instructors and managed logistics and gear maintenance. Before that, they led students on surfing, backpacking, stand-up paddleboarding, sea kayaking, canoeing, and camping trips. Matty has also interned for IDEAS For Us, an nonprofit that focuses on environmental solutions.
- Education: Central Florida University, bachelor’s degree in environmental studies
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Waking up in the morning to a beautiful view of the Smoky Mountains after a long backpacking day.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Leading a group of 24 trip leaders caving in Tumbling Rock Cave Preserve in Fackler, AL.
- Countries visited: Amsterdam, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Puerto Rico, United Kingdom
- Favorite hobbies: Caving, sewing, and whitewater kayaking.