Instructor, Alaska Expedition 2b
Molly joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. Originally from Spring Lake, MI, Molly now lives in the Upper Peninsula. Most recently, she was a kayaking guide on Lake Superior for youth and adults. She’s also led kayaking trips along Pictured Rocks National Seashore. While at North Michigan University, she led a winter backpacking trip and completed a sustainable agricultural internship on a farm in the Panamanian jungle. She’s worked on a trail crew for Rocky Mountain Youth Corp and as an assistant teacher for younger kids.
- Education: Northern Michigan University, bachelor’s degree in outdoor recreation leadership and management
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder, PADI open water diver, ACA level 2
- Favorite outdoor memory: I think one of the greatest memories I have is taking a week-long winter backpacking trip. It was a class I chose to take for my degree, and the memories created in the -30 degree weather were memories I will hold with me forever. It showed me that the human body is the all-time strongest machine. We are capable of accomplishing so much more than we allow ourselves to believe, and the cold temperatures will test, as well as strengthen, our understanding of this.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: If I had to choose one thing that I felt extremely proud of, it would be my first-ever backpacking trip through the Panamanian jungle. We did a two-day, one-night 15-mile loop during the wet season. It was hot, rainy, and an uphill battle, but it made me realize the joys I find in pushing my physical body and mental/emotional state to the limit. We are capable of so much.
- Favorite hobbies: I have recently gotten into mountain biking. I love hiking, backpacking and camping. I enjoy reading and writing in any setting, but especially in the woods or near water. I love to kayak, especially on big, open water.
- What are you most excited for this summer? I am excited to help guide youth through amazing experiences in the outdoors. I am also looking forward to meeting new people and building memories with people who have similar interests in life. I also look forward to living in the woods again.