Morgan “Mugs” Gales
Trip leader, British Columbia Adventure 1
Hailing from Clarkston, MI, Morgan (aka Mugs) now resides in Bozeman, MT, where she works for a non-profit that supports residents with cystic fibrosis. She spent the several winter seasons as a snowboard instructor and in the recreation department at the Yellowstone Club in Big Sky. During her time at WVU, she worked for the Outdoor Recreation Center, which included teaching kayak roll sessions; leading multi-day backpacking, rock climbing, and whitewater rafting trips in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and Utah; and facilitating high ropes courses for other students. She’s also spent time in Port au Prince, Haiti, volunteering with with medical clinics and local schools.
- Education: West Virginia University, bachelor’s degree in human nutrition and foods
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder, ACA level 4 swiftwater rescue
- Favorite outdoor memory:My favorite outdoor memory is eating pita pizzas at 10:30pm on the Olympic Peninsula. My group and I had to wake up at 2 a.m. for tide crossing and were on trail for about 12 hours. We were all so tired that we didn’t even realize we forgot the pizza sauce. It didn’t even matter—to this day that was the best pizza I’ve ever eaten.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Summiting Mt. Shasta with Adventure Treks.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: The North Cascades in Washington. I loved all the dramatic landscapes… it was beautiful everywhere you looked!
- Favorite hobbies: Backpacking, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, roller-blading, fishing, and reading.
- What are you excited for this summer? I’m excited to learn about the ecology and botany of the places I will be in, and I am looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone on my trip and seeing what flair outfits they have. I am also excited for canoeing!
- Previous Adventure Treks trips include California Adventure, Pacific Northwest Adventure, California Challenge, Ultimate Northwest