Instructor, Alaska Expedition 2
Mycala will be joining Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. Originally from Michigan, she focused on competitive sports growing up, like volleyball and track. At Georgia State University, she became active in the outdoors through the outdoor recreation program, leading hiking, backpacking, paddleboarding, whitewater rafting, kayaking, snowboarding, and horseback riding trips; she also facilitated high ropes courses. She is currently pursuing a counselor’s license in Georgia.
- Education: Siena Heights University with a bachelor’s degree in art and psychology; Georgia State University with a master’s degree in mental health counseling
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I can’t wait to meet the students and get to know them. I also love seeing people challenged by new skills and experiences, and can’t wait to help our students meet those challenges and learn new things about themselves. Above all, I can’t wait to help our students feel empowered!
- Favorite outdoor memory? Working with students at GSU as part of a wilderness therapy organization. We had hiked a couple miles in pouring rain to get to our next campsite, and we’d finally finished setting up camp. Everyone was soaked and irritated. Instead of just huddling under our tarps until the rain passed, we started playing hacky-sack in the downpour. It lifted our spirits and was a great bonding experience for everyone.
- Favorite quote: “Anything’s possible if you have enough nerve.” – Ginny Weasley