A Dexter, MI, local, Rachel joins Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. Rachel’s love of the outdoors started when she attended summer camp in middle school; that love only grew when she returned to the same camp to work as a counselor for several summers. During her time at Central Michigan, she was the vice president of Global Brigades, where she coordinated projects to renovate houses and teach children. This fall, Rachel will begin medical school in Arkansas, where she’ll focus on underserved regions and rural health.
- Education: Central Michigan University, bachelor’s degree in biomedical, cellular, and molecular biology
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Within the first five minutes of starting my week-long backpack trip on Isle Royale National Park, I ran into a moose on the trail.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Hiking up to Angels Landing in Zion National Park before sunrise.
- Favorite hobbies: Outdoor passions include hiking, gardening, and anything on a boat (canoe, kayak, sail). Other hobbies include cooking, reading, and learning the piano.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Ghana
- What are you excited for this summer? I’m so excited to meet the students/staff and be a part of the AT community.