Trip leader, Colorado Explorer 1, 2, & 3
Rachel is our second-season staffing director and trip leader. Hailing from Green Bay, WI, she attended the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire and earned a bachelor’s degree in social work. She spent her summers leading backpacking, canoeing, and kayaking trips in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota, and after college completed a thru-hike of the 2,200-mile-long Appalachian Trail.
- Education: University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; bachelor’s degree in social work
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? I am most excited about getting know the students, working hard to provide them meaningful and epic adventure, and eating some great trail food.
- Favorite outdoor memory? While leading a trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, we completed a remote mile-and-a-half portage, carrying our canoes and gear through swamps, steep ridges, and an overgrown path. It was so rewarding to see the teamwork, confidence, and strength that the group had—and the feast we had that night was delicious!
- Favorite quote: “Keep me here in this wild present tense.” – Nahko and Medicine for the People