Reid joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. He grew up taking outdoor and backpacking trips across the United States, including in Utah, Arizona, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington. This past winter, Reid was a children’s snowboard instructor at Sun Valley Snowsports School in Idaho. He’s also served as a field organizer for the Pennsylvania Democratic Party; head volunteer instructor for the Pan-African Association; and sports and academic instructor for kids through the YMCA in Louisiana. While in school, he helped found the Northwestern Mindfulness Club and was the president of the school’s photography club. Fun fact: Reid is fluent in Italian and French!
- Education: Northwestern University, bachelor’s degree in economics
- Medical and outdoor certifications: Wilderness first responder, AASI snowboard level 1
- Favorite outdoor memory: Two weeks of backpacking through alpine lake territory in Washington!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: Overnight hike on Volcán Acatenango on the outskirts of Antigua in Guatemala: We set up camp on a plateau and had a perfect view of Volcán de Fuego, one of the most active volcanoes in the world… It exploded all night long! On top of that, we had a fantastic view of the Milky Way as it danced behind Fuego’s explosions.
- Countries visited: Austria, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Denmark, France, Germany, Guatemala, Holland, Italy, Mexico, Nicaragua, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain
- Favorite hobbies: I love snowboarding, soccer, astrophotography, and, of course, hiking!