A Milwaukee, WI, native, Ryan’s love for outdoor education began when he was a counselor for a YMCA camp in his home state. He later became the outdoor explorer director, leading campers on multi-day canoeing and backpacking trips in northern Wisconsin. He was also an environmental education instructor, leading team-building, canoeing, kayaking, and fishing activities for kids and teenagers. He’s worked at Camp Kindred, a intentional community that brings together children of different race, ethnicity, and economic advantage. Ryan has worked a graphic designer for an advertising agency, and he spent the last few winters as a ski instructor in Steamboat Springs, CO, and Park City, UT. He returns to Adventure Treks for his third season as support staff.
- Education: University of Minnesota, bachelor’s degree in journalism
- Medical and outdoor certifications: Wilderness first responder, PSIA alpine level 1
- Favorite outdoor memory: Sleeping on the islands of the Wisconsin River with campers.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: I thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail in 2019!
- Countries visited: Canada, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Philippines, and Spain
- Favorite hobbies: Skiing, cycling and walking,