Instructor, Blue Ridge Expedition 1a & Blue Ridge Expedition 2
A Milwaukee, WI, native, Ryan’s love for outdoor education began when he was a counselor for a YMCA camp in his home state. He later became the outdoor explorer director, leading campers on multi-day canoeing and backpacking trips in northern Wisconsin. He was also an environmental education instructor, leading team-building, canoeing, kayaking, and fishing activities for kids and teenagers. He also worked at Camp Kindred, a intentional community that brings together children of different race, ethnicity, and economic advantage. Before coming to Adventure Treks, Ryan was a graphic designer for an advertising agency. He joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor.
- Education: University of Minnesota, bachelor’s degree in journalism
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Sleeping on the islands of the Wisconsin River with campers.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: I thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail in 2019!
- Countries visited: Canada, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Philippines, and Spain
- Favorite hobbies: I have been a bike commuter for 8 years (I’ve never owned a car!). I am an avid concert-goer and traveling to show all around the country.