Instructor, Alaska Expedition 2
Hailing from Freehold, NJ, Ryan is joining Adventure Treks for her first season as an instructor. She started to love outdoor recreation during junior year of high school, and once college started, she spent her time building hiking trails and doing other conservation work across New Jersey, New York, Kentucky, and Wyoming AmeriCorps. After graduating college, she headed west and is currently pursue her master’s degree at the University of Wyoming.
- Education: Drew University, bachelor’s degree in anthropology; University of Wyoming, master’s degree in planning and environmental natural resources
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- What excites you the most about working for AT this summer? This summer is going to be life-changing! I can’t wait to help lead breathtaking adventures throughout the West. I hope that the participants will gain confidence and new outdoor skills that can help them excel in their future. I am excited to see how much the students grow both physically and mentally from the first day of the expeditions to the last day.
- Favorite outdoor memory? This past summer, I co-led a crew to build mountain biking trails outside of Laramie, WY. Once we finished, we were the first ones to test it out. Riding the trails was an awesome experience. Another favorite is the first time I visited Yellowstone—my first time seeing a national park. It was amazing to see the beautiful landscape and diverse wildlife.
- Favorite quote: “If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I’ll bet they’d live a lot differently. How so? Well, when you look into infinity, you realize that there are more important things than what people do all day.” – Calvin and Hobbes