Instructor: California Challenge 1 & California Adventure 2
While this is Sam’s first season as an Adventure Treks instructor, she previously joined us for two summers as a student! Originally from Scarsdale, NY, Sam attended Amherst College, where she led week-long backpacking and hiking trips for other students, taught indoor rock climbing classes, and worked as a teaching assistant in the math department and research assistant in the ecology lab. Sam also served as an intern for Teatown Lake Reservation, helping with trail maintenance and ecological restoration projects. She studied field and political ecology abroad in Paro, Bhutan, and has volunteered on organic farms.
- Education: Amherst College, bachelor’s degree in biology
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder, PADI open water diver
- Favorite outdoor memory: Hiking along the Chele La Pass (10,083 feet) in Bhutan this past spring and looking out over the staggering Himalayan peaks and valleys!
- Favorite outdoor achievement: The first backpacking trip for which I was the trip leader (in central Arizona). It was one of those trips where nothing went as expected, but I was so proud of myself and my students for rising to many unexpected challenges and forming an incredibly supportive community!
- Countries visited: Bhutan, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, England, France, Italy, Israel, Jamaica, St. Lucia
- Favorite hobbies: I love backpacking, climbing, and running, and recently I’ve been getting into cross country skiing. Besides the outdoors, I love reading, baking, and crossword puzzles.