Instructor: Alaska Expedition 1 and Pacific Northwest Discovery
Skyler joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. Originally from Massachusetts, Skyler has lived in Santa Barbara most of his life. Currently volunteering for Wilderness Youth Project, Skyler was previously a paraeducator, working with students and special education teachers. He was also a naturalist for the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies, leading hiking, snowshoeing, and skiing tours and helping run their youth camps. Before that, he worked for another teen travel program, spending the season leading trips for high schoolers in Alaska, Switzerland, and Wyoming. During his time at Colorado College, he was involved with their outdoor education program and led backcountry trips for incoming freshmen students. He is a NOLS graduate, having completed a three-month-long semester program in Patagonia.
- Education: Colorado College, bachelor’s degree in integrated environmental science
- Medical and outdoor certifications: Emergency medical technician, wilderness first responder, AIARE level 1 avalanche, American Red Cross basic life support
- Favorite outdoor memory: I had set up a tent near the ocean above what I believed high tide was. We were in a gated area and there was a very small hill in between us and the ocean. That night I had a dream that I was sun-tanning on an inflatable bed in a pool. I then woke up to my friend shaking me, saying that our tent was in fact surrounded by water! Somehow, the ocean had snuck into our camp spot! So we jumped out of our tent at about 2 a.m. to move to higher ground. Although we got a little wet, it was worth it because the night sky was filled with so many stars. I am very thankful our tent was waterproof.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: I am really proud of myself for finishing a backcountry half marathon. My legs were like jelly for the week after!
- Countries visited: I have been to a country on every continent except for Antarctica and Australia.
- Favorite hobbies: Skateboarding next to the beach, hiking and rock climbing, surfing, and playing my ukulele.