Instructor: Alaska Expedition 2
Tom is a Rapid City, SD, native and still calls it home. Tom has worked as the admissions counselor for the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. His love for outdoor education began as an instructor for Avid4 Adventure in Colorado, where he led multi-day backpacking expeditions and rock climbing, canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, and fly fishing trips for middle and high schoolers. Tom has served as a substitute teacher in Rapid City and as a naturalist for the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish, and Parks, and he is a National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) graduate. Tom joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor.
- Education: Black Hills State University, bachelor’s degree in outdoor education
- Medical certification: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: Topping out on After Seven, a traditional rock climbing route in Yosemite Valley.
- Biggest outdoor achievement: Reaching the second summit of Chimborazo (20,548 feet), the tallest mountain in Ecuador.
- Countries visited: Argentina, Bolivia, Canada, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, Italy, Japan, Peru, and Singapore
- Favorite hobbies: Ice fishing, rock climbing, mountain biking, backpacking, and eating tremendous amounts of ice cream.