Instructor, Colorado Explorer 1, 2, & 3
Originally from North Carolina, Vince joins Adventure Treks for his first season as an instructor. While at the University of Idaho, he was a guide for the school’s outdoor program, leading backpacking trips in Utah, Idaho, and Oregon. He was also a backpacking counselor at Cheley Colorado Camps; has worked with the U.S. Forest Service in Montana on the fire crew; and completed two National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) courses in Wyoming and Alaska. He currently volunteers with the environmental education program with Iowa’s County Parks.
- Education: University of Idaho; bachelor’s degree in history
- Certification: Wilderness first responder
- What excites you the most about working AT this summer? Working with kids in the backcountry, and helping them have a fantastic summer! Also, I am looking forward to another summer sleeping on the ground in my comfy sleeping bag and pad. As well as lots of type 2 fun throughout the summer.
- Favorite outdoor memory? On the last night of a five-day backpack in Rocky Mountain National Park, we were watching the sunset in a meadow when a handful of moose came out of the trees. It was epic, sitting there for almost an hour and watching them. It was an unforgettable experience.
- Favorite quote: “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” Walden by Henry David Thoreau