Leadership Adventure Gap Semester
Why choose an Adventure Treks gap program?
To be a well-rounded and happy individual, one must possess a wide variety of skills, habits, and character traits; formal college education addresses many, but not all, of these skills people need to be successful. We want to help young people build skills that lead to a more enriching life, and we believe Adventure Treks can provide a different yet equally fulfilling learning adventure.
The Leadership Adventure Semester (LAS) will offer a profound and intensive opportunity to deepen outdoor, interpersonal, and leadership skills. Students will:
- Gain mastery in outdoor skills like backpacking, mountain biking, mountaineering, rock climbing, whitewater kayaking, and canoeing
- Take a wilderness first responder medical course and lifeguarding course
- Participate in local and meaningful service projects (fall only)
- Improve essential and pragmatic, hands-on life skills (fall only)
LAS will emphasize non-cognitive skills like leadership, communication, collaboration, and community-building—skills necessary to succeed in today’s world. These will be woven naturally and intentionally into the entire gap semester as an excellent complement to the higher education experience.
- To offer fun and exciting outdoor adventures that help young people gain life skills and a greater sense of self.
- To inspire young people to develop a lifelong love of the outdoors and a conservation ethic.
- To empower young people to create an inclusive and reflective community that maintains a culture of kindness, sense of humor, and spirit of cooperation and volunteerism.
Adventure Treks’ Leadership Adventure Semester is communicating with several higher education institutions and working toward offering college credit.
Renowned Adventure Treks communities
Since our inception in 1993, Adventure Treks has become widely known for creating close-knit and supportive communities of young people. In fact, that’s a large reason our student and instructor return rates often exceed 60 percent! Our students establish caring friendships with each other, and these relationships often grow into lifelong connections. Our philosophy and programming encourages students to bring out the best in each other and themselves, and we believe that this strong sense of community is crucial to a young adult’s personal growth. The shared responsibility, spirit of volunteerism, and culture of kindness allows everyone to grow in a positive, clique-free, and respectful environment.
Here’s what some of our 2020 gap semester students had to say about their community:
- “I have never been happier with a group of once strangers who are now the best friends I’ll ever have.”
- “Not only does the semester offer great strides in self-growth and knowledge, but it’ll leave you walking away from it with a tight knit community of close friends.”
- “I made amazing, lifelong friends, and the community was incredible and unique. Everyone was so supportive and willing to lend a hand, be a shoulder to cry on, and just be a great friend.”
- “I also made so many close bonds—the community is more than a group of people with shared interests… it’s a family. I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world.”
- “I did not expect to make as many amazing friends I did. The community exceeded my expectations, and being part of a group of such encouraging and motivated people was really valuable.”
- “I am confident that the bonds and friendships that I made while at LAS will last a lifetime. The community, and how close it was, was a huge and integral
part of the experience for me. I really enjoyed the creation of a community from essentially nothing, and seeing how it matured and changed over the course of the semester.”
- “The community created in this program had so much healthy energy and supportive relationships; the 20 other students in the semester now know me inside and out, and I couldn’t be happier about it. My peers are people I will be friends with for a lifetime.”
- “In just 74 days, 26 former strangers became some of my closest friends and people to whom I hope to stay connected for life.”
- “I’ve never been in a community of people who love and support each other as much or as genuinely as the community I found here.”
Find your 2021 gap program
We will operate three Leadership Adventure Semester programs in 2021. Our spring and fall programs are based at 126-acre Camp Pinnacle in western North Carolina and utilize our world-class food service. Our summer program is expedition-based and will begin in Colorado and end in the Pacific Northwest.
- Spring: March 22 – May 6, 2021
- Summer: June 24 – August 4, 2021
- Fall: September 7 – November 19, 2021
Accommodations & all-inclusive tuition
For spring and fall, students will live at Camp Pinnacle for the duration of their semester (when they’re not camping during backcountry trips). The open-air cabins are screened-in and rustic (no heat or A/C) but have electricity and are comfortable. For summer, students will be camping expedition-style, traveling from location to location throughout the semester.
Adventure Treks gap semester tuition will include the following:
- All meals and lodging
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpack, and group gear
- Technical gear for mountain biking, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking
- Guided activities
- Wilderness first responder course
- Lifeguarding course (fall semester only)
Not included in tuition:
- Medical insurance
- Personal clothing and gear
COVID-19 safety measures
For our fall 2020 program, students received a COVID-19 test upon arrival and were re-tested five days later, and Adventure Treks adhered to all relevant and current CDC and NC state guidelines. Students were not able to leave the group for the semester, and were essentially “quarantined” with each other for 74 days, allowing us the freedom to have a true in-person experience. Our COVID protocols and policies for 2021 will continue to evolve, and we’ll provide more details in early 2021.
How to apply
Step 1: Submit a student application.
You’ll complete the initial online application, which requires a parent’s email address to create a username and password; this email and password is how you’ll access the account for all paperwork.
Step 2: Secure your spot with a $1,000 deposit.
The deposit must be made within 3 days of the initial online application and can be made over the phone with a credit card (plus a 2.5% bank processing fee), debit card (no processing fee), or checking account (we’ll need the account and routing number).
The deposit is fully refundable if the applicant is not accepted into our program, or if we do not meet our minimum number of students to operate.
Step 3: Fill out a detailed application and set up a director interview.
Once we receive the student application and $1,000 deposit, students will complete a questionnaire, two essays, and health form, and submit two references. We will also schedule a director interview.
Step 4: Official acceptance!
As soon as the entire admissions process is completed, we will notify you as soon as possible regarding your official acceptance into the program.
*Terms and conditions for the Leadership Adventure Semester will apply.