Work with Adventure Treks
Adventure Treks offers 13- to 30-day wilderness-based programs in California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, British Columbia, Alaska, and North Carolina for students ages 13–18. A typical program has 24 students and six instructors, and activities include backpacking, mountaineering, rock climbing, whitewater rafting and kayaking, canoeing, sea kayaking, mountain biking, ice climbing, and ziplining.
Discover why Adventure Treks has the highest instructor and student return rate of any comparable program!
Instructors are expected to be excellent role models as they teach a variety of outdoor skills and foster a close community. Course size is generally 20–24 students with 6 instructors. Outdoor skills taught include backpacking, rock climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, caving, canoeing, cooking, orienteering, Leave No Trace concepts, and general environmental education. Other specialized skills will be taught in conjunction with outfitters. On each adventure, the 6-person instructor team works closely together to coordinate all aspects of the trip, including instruction in all outdoor activities, risk management, managing group dynamics, planning menus, purchasing food, laundry, transportation, coordinating with outfitters, maintaining equipment, and handling medical issues. Instructors receive support while in the field from the regional directors.
- At least 21 years old
- College graduate strongly preferred
- Wilderness First Responder and CPR
- Several years experience working with teenagers
- True concern for students’ growth
- Solid outdoor skills in a variety of activities
- Several years experience leading wilderness programs
- Expertise in Leave No Trace principles
- A clean driving record
- Ability to work with little/no time off and limited personal time
- Opportunity to be a teacher, mentor, and role model to highly motivated students
- Up to five months of employment. In addition to summer programs, opportunities are available in North Carolina during the fall as an outdoor educator for our school programs.
- Dynamic work environment
- Highly organized and well-planned adventures
- Professional development
- Outdoor experiences throughout the United States
- Competitive salary
- Travel stipend for transportation
- Professional purchase discounts