A resident of Indianapolis, IN, Claire is originally from Prescott, WI. She’s currently a middle school art teacher, and she also coaches the track and field and cross country teams at school. She’s very well-versed in the summer camp world: She spent a few summers as an adventure camp counselor in Kentucky, taking kids on hiking, camping, rock climbing, and whitewater rafting trips. She’s helped plan and facilitate summer camps and after-school programs through her middle school, and she’s also led hiking, canoeing, and biking trips for a camp in Indiana.
- Education: Herron School of Art & Design, bachelor’s degree in art history
- Certifications: Wilderness first responder
- Favorite outdoor memory: My favorite outdoor memories are sitting about the campfire with my family. We have been a camping family since before I was born, spending summers out in the woods as much as we could. But campfire time was when we would swap riddles and jokes as we watch the fire. It’s lots of laughs and silliness to end a full day of outdoor adventures.
- Favorite outdoor achievement: One of my all time favorite outdoor highlights is road-tripping to Utah with my sisters. We spent the week exploring Zion and Bryce Canyon national parks and Dixie National Forest. The best part was completing Angels Landing and the Narrows in the same day.
- Favorite place you’ve traveled: Devils Tower was the coolest place I have been to so far. It was just so awe-striking. Redwoods is a close second. It was the first time I was in marvel of plants. (And I am a Star Wars fan, so bonus feelings of being on Endor.)
- Favorite hobbies: I get really excited about food. I love cooking and baking. I love learning about the history and science of different foods. I especially love eating food. I get a thrill anytime I am able to be on a body of water. Canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, rafting—I love being near water. I also love star-gazing. I also get so much enjoyment from being able to crawl/climb all over big boulders. I like making friendship bracelets and embroidering. I enjoy a puzzle and a good book.
- What are you most excited for this summer? I am most looking forward to meeting new people and forming new memories. I love new experiences and trying new things, so this summer will just be one big new experience. I am excited to absorb as much as I can from Adventure Treks this summer and to learn more about climbing.